A Word About Photos

Where possible, any images used are sourced from public domains unless otherwise stated & credited. If you find a photo or image that you believe you own & breaches copyright, please let us know & it will be removed immediately.

Friday 22 February 2013

Qantas Profits from NOT Flying the 787



Qantas announced its six-month profit results the other day. Here's the key features as I see them:

Firstly, Qantas seems to make more money NOT flying the 787 than they would if they were flying it! A pre-tax net profit of $223m looks impressive, but more than half of that, $125m in fact, was a compensation payment from Boeing for the 787 delays. It seems it pays to be patient!



Secondly - good news folks! Qantas international operations only lost $91,000,000 these past six months! Woohoo!! At least that's better than the reported $171,000,000 loss for the same period last year.





For better or worse, for richer or poorer, in financial sickness & in health, Qantas management seems to be trying to do everything they can to navigate the iceberg-filled ocean of commercial aviation. I don't always agree with their strategic decisions & management style, but I have to accept that I'm only an inexperienced amateur observer, & they are the ones whose CV's say they know what they're doing. I have to accept that they're doing their best. And I have to be grateful that I don't go to bed with the multi-million dollar headaches that the QF chiefs do. 

I'm making a resolution to try & change my attitude towards Qantas, & adopt that which is shared by the executives, pilots, crews & all staff who actually love their jobs & give their 100% best. I don't know exactly how I'm going to do that, but I guess it's like learning to enjoy broccoli; you just have to try it.



Media resources:
http://australianaviation.com.au/2013/02/qantas-profits-tick-up-despite-domestic-slippage/
http://au.finance.yahoo.com/news/qantas-climbs-back-profit-090209951.html
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/business/profit-loss/feb-21-results-qantas-amp-goodman-iag-asx-brambles-origin-fxj/story-fn91vch7-1226582412758

No comments:

Post a Comment